Monday 19 March 2012

raindrops and puddle ducks

"Raindrops keep fallin' on my head
But that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turnin' red
Cryin's not for me
'Cause I'm never gonna stop the rain by complainin'
Because I'm free
Nothin's worryin' me" 
- B.J. Thomas
With the recent spate of rain not set to go anywhere yet I decided to embrace the weather And my inner six year old self ... 

I have been hunting for the perfect pair of gumboots for a long time, I've searched festival stalls, markets, websites, shoe stores and in general every place I had ever come across for that perfect pair of gumboots, just for me. 
So resigned to the fact that I was never going to own that cool pair of elusive gummys that I almost walked past the amazing hot pink and orange pokadot creations with orange bows on the front and bright orange soles... in a word - purchase!

In light of the rain and inspired by my new purchase I remembered a simpler time in life when rain was a magical, mythical, sensational event that coincided with pretty knits, pastel tights, and gumboots all the nessary items when chasing rain nymphs & puddle fairies and creating mud pie! MMmmmm

what I'm wearing ~ New black dress (found at St Vinnies Ultimo), Jonathan Aston Cream, tights, tulle and checkers  petite-cote, Vintage pink blazer, Forever New hair clips and 'The' gumboots!



Kitch in the kitchen... 

My mother is an amazing woman! No really! 
She's like Meryl Streep's character in 'Its Complicated' meets Diane Keatons 'Somethings Gotta Give' performance... common factor? not only are these woman successful and beautiful independent women... they're also fantastic mothers AND AMAZING cooks! 

It is no accident at all that my sister gave up jornalisim to write a food blog, Little Pudding  (and botique bakery by the same name), Memories abound of spending afternoons helping mum in the kitchen making piklet mix or curried mince, or  Butter cakes.. 'fold the flour.... dont mix it! fold!!!" to perfect Jaffles 'butter the outside of the bread and cook on the electric fry pan'. 

My mothers christmas cakes are out standing... Ussally for at least a month before christmas!! and dont forgett the extra alcohol added very few days to the standing fruit mix! 


Her family secret Bolognese is the best (and i'm not discounting the possible hair of dog references) hang over cure ever! And when she can be bribed to cook one, her rice puddings are a thing of ledgend!


The point ?
Cooking for me isn't the passion it is for my mother and sister, its is though something that comes as naturally as riding a bike and for that i feel very lucky! 


This week was my brother in laws birthday so I felt inspired to get in the kitchen... patty cakes (butter cakes in general actually, a left-over talent from making them for my grandpa) are something I've always had a talent for and found enjoyable to create. 


I also felt it was a great excuse to dress a little like a betty croker and bring out the dangerously cute 50's inspired outfit... with a modern bun twist, check it out below... 


p.s- you can also see a patch of mango ice cream being made in the background - its another of my culinary talents -Shhh! 

what I'm wearing ~ Yellow Warhol cans Dangerfeild dress, Sportsgirl waist belt, Wittner wedges and seed. sunnies





More soon brandy snaps!


Danni 


xo 




No comments:

Post a Comment